Monday, July 9, 2012

Mrs. Hall

One of the characters in Ruth Hall, I found Mrs. Hall the most interesting of them all. We know that she is the antagonist and holds the power like all mother-in-laws in this world. As we call in reality, "monsters" rather than mothers just by their actions. Even though the book is set in the 1850's and from that time women have always been looked down at as property or just a measly old slave. This mentality still in fact stands out today in some countries. For example, in the country India, it is widely significant. But anyways, concerning Mrs. Hall, I believe she is insecure of her feelings with Ruth because she believes that once her son gets married to her, she has the insecurity that she will lose her son. Ruth, being his wife, now will have full control over her son. So she tries to keep control and have power over Ruth so that she stays within her limits. I believe all mother-in-laws like Mrs. Hall fail to understand the fact that once their son gets married, his love gets divided: one is his mother and the other is his wife. If this was understood by all mothers, I believe they'll be less likely to have rifts between the relationship of a daughter-in-law and a mother-in-law.

1 comment:

  1. I'm Arlette Benjamin, I was assign to give feedback on your blog assignment. I have a few constructive criticism that can help you improve your writing skills. Also, I struggle with some of these problems in the past and still continues to struggle with others. These are some of your problems I recognize:
    Reference the text and the author you're writing about in your introduction.
    Also, summarize the plot or the main characters in your introduction, so your audience can have a background to better understand your explanation.
    Grammatical errors, I encounter this problem every time I'm writing; the writing center helps me a great deal.
    define the words antagonist so your readers can under what it means.
    Is all mother-in-laws "monsters"? I don't agree that a realistic point of view. Try not to generalized because there are always exceptions to anything or rules.
    I thought your explanation for Mrs. Hall need for control over her daughter-in-law was great, I totally understand that.
    "I believe all mother-in-laws like Mrs. Hall fail to understand the fact that once their son gets married, his love gets divided" I think this statement need to be reworded because a child is going to love their parent in a totally difference way than they love their spouse.
    Your example, need details: In India women are still considered their husbands' property. for instance, Indian women are expected to produce son to carry on the family legacy. Because of the pressures from family and society some family will sell their daughters to the highest bidder where they becomes their husband possessions. And are expected to produce and perform to their "masters" standards. If those standards are not met it can be a life or death sentence.

    ReplyDelete